The primary goals of the ASBHM are to:
- Develop and maintain liaison with the ISBM and with collaborating professional organisations.
- Encourage and co-ordinate communication among professionals and academics in health-related disciplines, including behavioural and biomedical science researchers and clinicians, without regard to specific discipline loyalties.
- Stimulate research, clinical, preventive and training activities through formal meetings and the promotion of collaborative undertakings.
- Develop guidelines for the implementation of behavioural medicine training and research activities at various levels.
- Serve as information resource for clinicians and academics with an interest in behavioural health and medicine, by facilitating access to scientific and professional journals and computerised information systems, and by the organisation of scientific meetings.
- Organise an annual national conference, providing opportunities for exchange of scientific information, professional views, and debates.